Sunday, March 9, 2008

Great /slash/ painfull start.

Get it? Wait just a sec.
So my first week at my new job was fabulous. I heard nary a curse word the whole week: which is unheard of in my industry. My boss is Mormon and one of the other Project Managers is / was too. I got a nice Ford F-250 extended cab to drive. I got my business cards and phone already. In contrast other companies have taken months to do the same. My laptop will be delivered tomorrow. This is the first job where I feel that I am neither "in over my head" nor "wasting time and talent". I return calls from people looking for our services, meet with them, design/ determine the program, put a crew on it, make sure the crew does it right, order materials, and help with the technical stuff. I love it. This is also the first company where I can see a long term future.
Well you are probably dieing to know why I said a "painful" start. Well Thursday I was teaching the crews how to prune hedges the right way. "look is that a rabbit?!" [name that movie] I was working with motorized Hedge Shears. They function like Hair Clippers but for hedges. Ther were 2 pairs, both turned off. I was trying to start one, and I couldn't do it. As I let go of the cord my hand slipped backward into the 2nd set. The freshly sharpened set! Any how it hurt my thumb, as I looked at my thumb I felt something warm on the back of my hand, I turned it over and saw 2 Hollywood style large gashes or slashes (get my joke?) on the back of my 1st and 2nd finger. Well after forcing myself out of shock, I cleaned them up in the garden hose and determined that I would need stitches. I called my co-worker to come get me. While He was getting there I finished lining the crew out on the job. To shorten things up I ended up getting 19 stitches; 3 in my thumb, so 8 on both fingers! Don't worry it hasn't slowed me down hardly at all at work. A cute anecdote: Henry found a Band-aid yesterday and put it on. He said to Lyn "I need this, I hurt my finger." "How" replied Lyn. "I cut my finger, real bad!" "really?" Lyn said. "yeah with pruners... Wanna see it? it's pretty gross." Wow I knew Henry looks up to me, but even to the point of pretend wounds!? Wow!
Well that's it for now.
.........................There is a picture below in the picture section IF you want to see my stitches, otherwise your imagination will suffice.

2 comments:

Riley said...

"Ernest goes to camp" haha, thats a great movie, need to see it again. good luck with the rest of your job.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! That does not look fun but we are sooooooo excited that your job is going so well and that you enjoy it! Good luck!

It was fun to see pictures of Carli & Jenna with Fern and Henry! They had so much fun with you guys. Hopefully we'll get a job a little closer and we can see you more often. And Caleb...I don't think I would mind living there, especially for the hiking!

The kitchen looks really nice also.

Antigua Guatemala

Antigua Guatemala
Continously inhabited for over 550 years.

Sweet

Sweet
This is my favorite shot. I even got an indigenous family in there.

My 1949 GM Frigidaire

My 1949 GM Frigidaire
Isn't she sweet.

Outdoor Nuts

We Love being outdoors, whether it's hiking, or camping, or yard work, or what-not.
When you live in Seattle you have to appreciate every dry moment! (and some wet ones too)

Poopoo Point

Dorothy Lake trail

Lyn on top of Huayna Picchu

Lyn on top of Huayna Picchu
This is the mountain visible behind and above the famous Macchu Picchu, which you can see in the background behind her.

Tulips

Tulips
Henry & Fern in LaConner

Henry & Fern front porch

Henry & Fern front porch
I just thought that this looks like an old 50's photo