Sunday, May 29, 2011

Musings from Lyn


Garden gloves. To think that was all that really stood between me and loving gardening.

I remember as a child dreading weeding, raking out the big rocks, and working in the garden in general. A couple years back I got some gloves and I have discovered that I LOVE being outside working in the earth. When it is cold and rainy, I really find myself longing to find some more long forgotten plants around our house to weed around and check on the garden. I love seeing the potato plants emerge from the ground and see the little beet and carrot tops come up. My lovely 14+ rhubarb plants are lots of fun to tend (thinning, deciding which stalk to pull next, picking off slugs to throw to the anxious chickens). Our garden is double the size of last year’s and I’m excited for some more sun so everything will grow! PLEEAASSEEE let this summer be nice and warm—I really want some tomatoes—last year they all molded...

Anyway, funny how time (and gloves) change what you enjoy.

3 comments:

Nicole B. said...

Come to my house! Apparently I don't have the right gloves... I don't love it yet :)

Lyn said...

I would love to come to your house--why do you live so far away?!

Anonymous said...

I am SO glad you now enjoy gardening so we can share this love! Maybe we need to find out who makes gardening gloves for children so we can pass the "love" along! I looked at my garden tonight and the beets are up, the zinnia and marigold seed sprouts look like lettuce, they are so thick! I used your method to plant the beans and beets and I won't have to thin them! It was fun to plant with you this year on my visit! What hard workers you and your husband AND children are!!! You're bound to have a great harvest!!! Love, Mom

Antigua Guatemala

Antigua Guatemala
Continously inhabited for over 550 years.

Sweet

Sweet
This is my favorite shot. I even got an indigenous family in there.

My 1949 GM Frigidaire

My 1949 GM Frigidaire
Isn't she sweet.

Outdoor Nuts

We Love being outdoors, whether it's hiking, or camping, or yard work, or what-not.
When you live in Seattle you have to appreciate every dry moment! (and some wet ones too)

Poopoo Point

Dorothy Lake trail

Lyn on top of Huayna Picchu

Lyn on top of Huayna Picchu
This is the mountain visible behind and above the famous Macchu Picchu, which you can see in the background behind her.

Tulips

Tulips
Henry & Fern in LaConner

Henry & Fern front porch

Henry & Fern front porch
I just thought that this looks like an old 50's photo