Sunday, April 3, 2011

We're still here :)

Well life has never been busier for me, us. Nor has life been better for many years now. We have had some dark and trying times, but now it seems as though we have made it through and life is brilliantly wonderful right now.
As you know I started my own design firm last May, and have been achieving moderate success thru it. I would design the landscape and then manage the installation of it for the homeowner by hiring all the different contractors. That got to be very confusing and tedious. So at the prompting of my wonderful business coach I started a new division on Grounded: we now do all of our own construction 'in-house'! I have 2 great employees and am working on purchasing trucks for the company.
I am currently running a very large job that entails about 170 feet of retaining wall with a high-end block coming out of So.Cal. Removing approx 100 cu yds of soil and bringing in a 15 ft Nurse Log.
It's been a lot of fun.
The phone has been ringing off the hook. I had 9 new appts last week and signed 4 of them. I do no advertising, all new customers are word of mouth referrals. I have spent a long time working on building a great network of friends and colleagues that pass my name around.
I am having the time of my life.
So many people from my past have told me that I am not good enough, smart enough, do not fit in, have no talent, whatever. It's been a tough road. I almost gave up on my dream of being a designer, at points even those closest to me said that I should give it up.
But I didn't.
And now that I have taken the reigns of my future and success in my own hands, and doing what I love , and am doing it my way, I am having a lot of success.
I am good, smart, talented enough.
I am finding great success.
Life is so great.
I thank God daily for the blessings that He has given me.

Lyn has been my beautiful assistant, taking care of the bookkeeping and what not. and I have been working 12-14 hr days.
The kids are great. I love watching them grow and learn. Henry has such an aptitude for machinery and building. I wonder what he will do with it?
Anyhow, Lyn had her B-dayThen I had mine
( I have no idea who those goofballs are)
Then on Saturday the 26th we had our Spring Bunny Celebration. We decided that the Easter Bunny was too much in competition with Jesus so we asked him to move his Easter egg antics to the first Saturday after spring equinox. We dyed our own farm eggs. And even the brown ones dyed up well.
We got flooded again this weekend, but only very minimally.
We are looking forward to summer. We have doubled the garden space from last year. Now it is nearly 1000 sq ft! We are looking forward to swimming in the river, camping, hiking. And we are looking forward to visits from our beloved family members.
Life is sweet and we thank all of you for helping us thru the times when it was not.
We love you and send out big hugs thru the air to reach you as you read this.

5 comments:

Corey said...

Congrats on your business success Caleb! That's so wonderful and exciting!!!! What a great yeas to separate the "Easter" Bunny from the true meaning of Easter. Your family sounds grounded in so many ways. It's great!!! So somehow last summer came and went without us making it over there to visit you but we still definitely want to come and see you place. So we will for sure have to set a date once school is out and our schedules are more free. Here's to some warm sunny days ahead!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Corey--I just typed a reply and it erased...so anyway I'm now anonymous!
We look forward to your visit in the summer and seeing the new baby :)

Lyn & family

Anonymous said...

Good work, Caleb. Sounds like business is going well. You are a great hard working dad. The eggs look beautiful. Your children have quite the cute smiles. Love, Zoe

The Nelsons said...

Thank you Zoe, I try to be a decent dad. No one ever told me how hard it would be. Good thing I guess, perhaps no one would have kids if they knew of the stress.
Thanks for keeping up on us.

Britanny said...

Why have I always thought Henry's birthday was in December? Looks like you guys have been having a GREAT summer!

Antigua Guatemala

Antigua Guatemala
Continously inhabited for over 550 years.

Sweet

Sweet
This is my favorite shot. I even got an indigenous family in there.

My 1949 GM Frigidaire

My 1949 GM Frigidaire
Isn't she sweet.

Outdoor Nuts

We Love being outdoors, whether it's hiking, or camping, or yard work, or what-not.
When you live in Seattle you have to appreciate every dry moment! (and some wet ones too)

Poopoo Point

Dorothy Lake trail

Lyn on top of Huayna Picchu

Lyn on top of Huayna Picchu
This is the mountain visible behind and above the famous Macchu Picchu, which you can see in the background behind her.

Tulips

Tulips
Henry & Fern in LaConner

Henry & Fern front porch

Henry & Fern front porch
I just thought that this looks like an old 50's photo