Sunday, December 13, 2009

bonus post

So this week Lyn and myself went to the famous 5th Ave Theatre in downtown Seattle. It is our city's premier venue for Broadway performances and top tier plays. It is the coolest building I have seen in a long time. It was built in 1926 and was restored in the 80's. Perhaps one of the coolest things is "Perhaps the most impressive feature of the theatre interior is the nearly exact replica of the dome from the throne room of the imperial palace in The Forbidden City. The magnificent chandelier, located in the center of the ceiling is twice the scale of the original.” It was really neat.Any how we went to see, Irving Berlins WHITE CHRISTMAS!!! It is so iconic of the season. We took the bus down town and it dropped us of 2 blocks from the theatre. We also were kid-less so that made it fun too. (although I think that Henry would have sat thru this thought) Seeing it live was really an experience to be had. The sets were so amazing. For the train scene when they sing 'snow' they have a train car cut in half lengthwise and after they get off at the station the train takes of across the stage!
The musical numbers were great, and they even encouraged signing along during White Christmas! I think that my favorite part was the very end when the granddaughter declares "It's snowing!" and they open up the barn doors at the back of the stage and there is snow coming down. It really showed up nice. It was very sparkly and the flakes drifted down ever so slowly. The next scene was outside of the barn and it was snowing on the whole stage, but before you knew it I looked up and it was snowing on the entire audience! The snow was in fact little bubbles that floated down on the currents of the room and glittered in the spot lights. There were coming from bubble machines on the ceiling. For a small moment I was caught up in a sense of wonder that made me feel as if I were 6 again.If you live in the Seattle area, I would so highly recommend this play, it was the best play that I have ever experienced. It plays thru the 30th I believe.

Other than that we are busy trying to finish making the kids Christmas gifts and get all the baking done for our annual Christmas Open House. We so love doing that and love visiting with all of our friends. Some of our friends live afar, we wish we could see you too, but know that we are thinking of you during this season.

Merry Christmas.

2 comments:

terrie, jackson, lexie said...

miss you guys!

I remember my first attendance to your Christmas Open House...no power and Fern bug sleeping in my arms...

Aim said...

The other night I went to a girls night dinner with some friends and Nicole Bigler was there she said you were on facebook and had a blog. That's how I happened here. How are things going? I too have a blog on my www.radpots.com website. It's fun to see pictures of you and your kids, your kids are darling.

Antigua Guatemala

Antigua Guatemala
Continously inhabited for over 550 years.

Sweet

Sweet
This is my favorite shot. I even got an indigenous family in there.

My 1949 GM Frigidaire

My 1949 GM Frigidaire
Isn't she sweet.

Outdoor Nuts

We Love being outdoors, whether it's hiking, or camping, or yard work, or what-not.
When you live in Seattle you have to appreciate every dry moment! (and some wet ones too)

Poopoo Point

Dorothy Lake trail

Lyn on top of Huayna Picchu

Lyn on top of Huayna Picchu
This is the mountain visible behind and above the famous Macchu Picchu, which you can see in the background behind her.

Tulips

Tulips
Henry & Fern in LaConner

Henry & Fern front porch

Henry & Fern front porch
I just thought that this looks like an old 50's photo