Saturday, June 7, 2008

And now, for something completely different...

This weeks Blog is a literary piece that I read in a design magazine. I really liked its style and I like the subject. It is just kind of odd, but fun reading.

"When at cocktail parties, the conversation turns from the fleeting news of the day to the subject of sublime beauty, I often find myself smiling, for soon, I will speak of mulch. Although I like all kinds of mulch-pine needles, straw, leaves, shredded tires- I think most highly of double-ground hard-wood mulch. Hardwood mulch is humble, which is ironic because it come from trees, and trees are quite proud. In fact trees make fun of mulch as they flail about dramatically in the breeze. Trees can be such jackasses.
But trees fall down, and then who’s laughing? A fallen tree is no longer quite a tree: It’s a disappointed, tree-shaped collection of wood that’s suddenly out of options. Not quite ready to be dirt just yet, it makes a last-minute, desperate deal with the earth: Grant me a couple more years before you take me back completely. I’ll sacrifice myself to the cause and perform many beneficial tasks in return. I’ll keep you tidy and free of weeds. I’ll control erosion and keep you moist. I’ll stop being a jackass.
Like the lone survivor of an airplane crash, hardwood mulch finds priority-shifting energy in its new life. Pride eroded, it learns to suck it up and get to work. Like Ernest Borgnine, it sets up the drama so that others can shine. We can learn much from mulch, just as we can learn much from Ernest Borgnine. We should honor and respect mulch, for we too shall one day fall down. We should buy large quantities of it, fall to our hands and knees and spread it around with great care and heartfelt words of thanks. Later when the subject of sublime beauty comes up at cocktail parties, we should smile knowingly. Embracing our inner Borgnine, we should stand up straight, limbs outstretched, and start taking the conversation down a notch."

-Dan Magnin, Dwell 4/08-


Everything else is going well. I love being a designer/Prject Mgr. Next wekk I start my largest project to date. It is 14 days and $26k worth of work. I will put up some pics later.
* Henry Update- He now likes to eat brocolli too. He aets about everything we ask him too. We keep thinking "Who is this Kid?" Can't complain.
{cdn}

2 comments:

Riley said...

WOW, Henry's eating? Awesomeness! tell him uncle Riley thinks that's cool. I like the article, just that kind of stuff in general.

terrie, jackson, lexie said...

i need more pictures of the kids!!!!!!!!

Antigua Guatemala

Antigua Guatemala
Continously inhabited for over 550 years.

Sweet

Sweet
This is my favorite shot. I even got an indigenous family in there.

My 1949 GM Frigidaire

My 1949 GM Frigidaire
Isn't she sweet.

Outdoor Nuts

We Love being outdoors, whether it's hiking, or camping, or yard work, or what-not.
When you live in Seattle you have to appreciate every dry moment! (and some wet ones too)

Poopoo Point

Dorothy Lake trail

Lyn on top of Huayna Picchu

Lyn on top of Huayna Picchu
This is the mountain visible behind and above the famous Macchu Picchu, which you can see in the background behind her.

Tulips

Tulips
Henry & Fern in LaConner

Henry & Fern front porch

Henry & Fern front porch
I just thought that this looks like an old 50's photo