(this pic shows the weather, it also shows the size and luxury of the ship. Outdoor movie theatre) Although ironically the rainiest day (Juneau) was the day me and Riley did the most hiking. We hiked 7 miles in the rain. We came back to ship soaked to the bone.
We saw some really neat stuff though. The next day was decent weather and our port was Skagway. When we got off the boat we witnessed a train derailment. It was interesting, no one got hurt and we enjoyed watching them re- rail it.
Now keep in mind we took over 300 pics. We had to narrow it down to the most beautiful and descriptive.
Here is an example of not being able to get "into" the landscape. We took a "tour" in which we simply drove along the highway and stopped every 10 minutes for about 10 minutes to snap photos. It seemed that no one cared to experience it, they were simply content to get the photographic proof that they were there. I would rather hike the land for a day without a camera than to take a thousand pics of it in an afternoon
Here we are leaving Skagway. The ships seemed so large and magnificent when we were parked next to them. As we pulled out they nearly disappeared in the shadow of the large mountains that were in the background. Gods creations will forever trump anything that man can come up with. I just wish that I had more time to see His work. The next day we went into Tracy Arm. It is fjord that is large enough for the ship to enter. We saw the most stunningly beautiful valleys and cliffs. And the glacier...
It was so blue. As were the icebergs floating around the ship. It was neat that the ship had sideways thrusters, so when we got into the end of the channel we merely turned on our axis to spin the ship around. On of the problems that the ship created is that it is so large that it distorts your sense of proportion. The viewing deck is probably 50 feet up, so when you see icebergs you can't tell how big they are. I would love to return one day with a sea kayak and 3 days supply. This is a pic of the voyage between Tracy Arm and Ketchikan.
It was so tranquil. We spotted lots of Humpback whales clearing their blowholes and breaking the water. We just sat there in the warm(ish) sun and watched them. Until they hooked and Xbox up to the outdoor cinema screen and let kids play Xbox at a very loud volume! That is one of the worst things about the cruise. If you go to Alaska you go because you want the wilderness experience. You can get noisy Xbox anyday anywhere. Over all though it was neat. Especially that night at our fancy Formal Dinner, when about 50 dolphins were swimming along side of the boat at pace with it. They were all jumping in and out of the water. I think that is one of the best parts of the cruise. "Formal night was made bearable by my fathers pimpin' plaid dinner jacket.
Here is a pic of the opulent main area, The Piazza. The blue column that you see with leaves on it is one of the 16 elevator on the ship. They went between 17 floors.
The ship was 930 feet long. Her you can see one of the main cabin decks. Riley took the pic, and I am at the far end of this hall. No surprise that you can't see me as I am almost 900 feet away!
Like my cake analogy, it was good, it just left me wishing for more. All in all I had a good time. I wouldn't choose to do it again. Well maybe when I'm too old to go backpacking thru 3rd world countries and climb mtns.I am thankful to have had the experience, Thanks Dad.
So back to the sales at work. The Monday I returned to work, I sold $45,125 in one day! I had been working on it all before hand but everyone waited till then to sign. So that is kinda cool. I have been consistently the top producer int eh company for most of the summer. I have outsold the other 2 guys combined, plus some. I love my job. The economy is worrying us though. work over all has been slow. usually we are scheduled out about 4-5 weeks at this point. Right now we are 4-5 days out.
I have crying kids breaking glasses and I can't concentrate very well. Everything is going well.
Hope that it is for you too.
No comments:
Post a Comment