Sunday, March 22, 2009

Happy Birthday to..Me

Well Still not much has happened around here other than I finished another year of life. [Caleb] I am now 33. Man, how time flies! When I was a teenager I never thought I would be here. of course as a teenager, I never thought about ANYTHING that wasn't in the here-and-now. I can't believe thought that I am greying in the temples though. I am pretty sure that comes form children,... mostly Fern. I had a cool B-day. Lot's of friends on facebook said hi, that was cool. Henry (Lyn) made me a neat "worker man cake" it was a landscape with grass and flower beds and a house and a hole being dug. It had a 'work ahead' sign and 4 little people that held up the candles. Lyn caught me at such a nice moment... We kinda forgot to watch the candles !!I am so proud of my family. I am so thankful to have the Gospel of Jesus Christ in my life to guide me in raising my kids. I want them to be kind, caring, conscious people who can live, and love in the moment and who can be a force for good. I am really proud of my wife who will be Homeschooling our children (more Unschooling for those who care to know the specifics) and who already raises them without the aid (mostly hindrance) of TV.
I am glad that we are aware of the need for a more conscious lifestyle. So many people just do things because that is what has always been done, not because they have thought of it or because they choose it. I have found that most things SHOULD be evaluated, as they are not optimal for our society, our families, ourselves, or our bodies.
Also I am glad that I get to plant a garden every summer. We just received our seeds in the mail yesterday. We will be doing mostly heirloom varieties [OLD varieties from before the 1950's when most veggies were breed for appearance and shipping durability, not flavor or nutrition].
Some of the sweetest moments I can remember are from us being out in the garden toiling for our food. Sometimes I think of all the good that could be, if every family grew a garden: People would eat so much more healthily, pollution would be dramatically reduced (the average American meal travels approx 1000 miles to arrive at the table) , people would get more exercise, less TV, spend more time with family. on and on and on.
Any way this is a blog and I can share my thoughts, no matter how disorganized or weird they are, and you get to read them, if you want.
So there!

1 comment:

Trisha said...

Happy Birthday. We will have to help you celebrate sometime. Lyn makes such creative cakes. Take care

Antigua Guatemala

Antigua Guatemala
Continously inhabited for over 550 years.

Sweet

Sweet
This is my favorite shot. I even got an indigenous family in there.

My 1949 GM Frigidaire

My 1949 GM Frigidaire
Isn't she sweet.

Outdoor Nuts

We Love being outdoors, whether it's hiking, or camping, or yard work, or what-not.
When you live in Seattle you have to appreciate every dry moment! (and some wet ones too)

Poopoo Point

Dorothy Lake trail

Lyn on top of Huayna Picchu

Lyn on top of Huayna Picchu
This is the mountain visible behind and above the famous Macchu Picchu, which you can see in the background behind her.

Tulips

Tulips
Henry & Fern in LaConner

Henry & Fern front porch

Henry & Fern front porch
I just thought that this looks like an old 50's photo